Who is the course designed for?
The Creative Pursuits course is designed for students at KS2 and KS3. The course aims to develop students’ imagination and creativity, as well as their understanding and enjoyment of the arts. There is a focus on key skills in Art and Design. Students are encouraged to follow a creative process, share their ideas and experiment with new techniques.
How is the course planned and assessed?
This course is taught as a series of projects, one per term. Each project follows a broadly similar structure, with an introduction to the topic, planning, research, thinking and reflection stages. Teachers guide students by modelling practical techniques in Art and Design, so that students can complete a final piece of work by building up a portfolio of artwork etc. Students receive feedback on their final project based on the development of skills in the following areas:
- Communication and collaboration
- Effective and efficient planning
- Creativity and curiosity
- Critical and courageous thinking
- Inspirational anthems
- Graffiti and Digital Art
- Movement in Art
- Paper for ideas/sketches
- Paint (any kind but preferably acrylic) – primary colours, black and white as a minimum
- Sponge (can be a kitchen sponge)
- Paint brushes
- Stencil sheets (or paper/cardboard as an alternative)
- Stencil cutting knife (or scissors as an alternative)
- Something to cut on e.g. chopping board/strong cardboard
- Canvas tote bag or students can use a plain t-shirt