Geography AS and A Level Course Overview
Cambridge International AS and A Level Geography is accepted by universities and employers as proof of knowledge and understanding of Geography.
Successful candidates gain lifelong skills, including:
- An appreciation of the need for understanding, respect and co-operation in conserving the environment and improving the quality of life both at a global scale and within the context of different cultural settings
- An awareness of the usefulness of geographical analysis to understand and solve contemporary human and environmental problems
- A sense of relative location, including an appreciation of the complexity and variety of natural and human environments
- An understanding of the principal processes operating within Physical and Human Geography
- An understanding of the causes and effects of change on the natural and human environments
- An awareness of the nature, value, limitations and importance of different approaches to analysis and explanation in geography
- A concern for accuracy and objectivity in collecting, recording, processing, analysing, interpreting and reporting data in a spatial context
- The ability to handle and evaluate different types and sources of information
- The skills to think logically, and to present an ordered and coherent argument in a variety of ways
At AS level candidates study the following in one 3-hour exam.
The Physical Core
Hydrology and fluvial geomorphology; atmosphere and weather; rocks and weathering
The Human Core1
Population; Migration; Settlement dynamics;
At A Level candidates study the following
Advanced Physical Geography Options
Tropical environments; Coastal environments; Hazardous environments; Arid and semi-arid environments.
Candidates study two of the listed environments.
Advanced Human Geography Options
Production, location and change; Environmental management; Global interdependence; Economic transition
Candidates study two of the above topics.
Candidates who are beginning this course should have previously completed an IGCSE course in Geography or the equivalent.
Geography is an excellent foundation for studies beyond A Level in Geography and for professional courses. A Level Geography provides a suitable foundation for the study of Geography or related courses in higher education. Equally it is suitable for candidates intending to pursue careers or further study in Planning, Environmental Subjects, Development, Tourism, etc., or as part of a course of general education.
Students based in the UK have the option to pay annually, per term or monthly. International students based outside the UK can pay annually or per term:
Paying per term:
Starting from September, three payments of £450 for the Autumn, Spring and Summer terms.
Monthly payments (UK only):
Starting in September you can pay 10 monthly payments of £135 via Direct Debit.